Sometimes snarky moments come from sadness and disappointment.

>> Tuesday, August 3, 2010

This is a copy of a letter than I recently sent to some of my email friends. Then I thought about how I really believe in the message, so why stop there?


Hi friends,

Tonight I feel led to share a message with you all. I think that a few of you will know exactly where I'm coming from here. But in case you don't, you will now. If you know me well, you know that I am a Democrat. A bleeding heart liberal and I'm perfectly OK with that. I wouldn't want to be any other way. This doesn't mean that I agree with everything the party has to offer. It means that I feel strongly in my views as you do yours. I also believe that kindness is important always!

Over the years, I've received lots of "forwarded emails" that are of a different view than mine. Some are funny whether I agree with them or not. Some are not at all funny to me. Some are interesting and some are completely untrue (I highly recommend Snopes for checking the validity of messages-especially if you are trying to teach me something). And some are just plain mean and even asinine.

Usually, I don't speak up about these messages because I get that humor is fun. I like to laugh and if I can laugh at myself (which I do often) then I can laugh at a lot of the emails I get. Some I simply delete. I have yet to figure out why I continue to receive certain types of messages. Maybe it's easier to just send them all my way when you are forwarding them instead of picking and choosing the ones that are more my type of humor. I hope that despite this message you will continue to share your jokes with me, even if it means leaving me out of some of the jokes.

Every once in awhile I will indulge you and forward a funny from someone else that I think you may laugh at, even if it's not my cup of tea. I don't think I've forwarded many, if any, that come from the other side of your particular political spectrum, and be sure that there are plenty. And some are even completely true...as in you can't even make this stuff up! But I know each of you and know what might make you laugh or what might be viewed as not so funny in your eyes.

I try to not send nastygrams even though there have been many messages that are so awful, hateful or full of lies. Again, I simply delete them and try to stop the flow of these messages at least in one direction. But I'll be honest today, because I do love you all. And I hope that you will understand. It makes me terribly sad to see how polarized our country has become.

Upon receiving a "funny" email regarding the wedding of Chelsea Clinton, I just decided that I've had enough. I won't get into her parents- their policies, their beliefs, their actions. No this is about an intelligent young woman who has been married. A woman who doesn't have a lot of bad marks against her. Does she have any? Chelsea grew up in the spotlight, in all of her awkward stages that all of us go through, though hers were displayed and mocked. The girl was a child at the time! She grew up with the ongoing criticism and ridicule of both of her parents. Particularly the antics of her father and Monica Lewinsky. How horrible that had to have been for her! She was an innocent young girl whose father happened to hold this country's highest office. Despite all of that, I think she's turned out OK!

On Chelsea's special day as a beautiful bride she couldn't even leave that in the past. The blows could not stop. It wasn't because of who she really is and I don't even think it's because of who her parents are. I think it's just because we are so divided that ugliness is now a regular part of our daily lives. When another recent First Daughter was married, Jenna Bush, the actions of her father were not thrust upon her. She was celebrated as a beautiful bride by all-Republicans, Democrats, Independents, etc. The polarization did not exist on that occasion at least not in my little corner of the world-I hope it didn't exist at all. What a great moment for all of us and a perfect day for Jenna! I'm very sad that Chelsea didn't get the same respect.

So I'd like to share this, please take a look...and maybe realize that there doesn't always have to be snarkiness. Some actually do deserve a special day. A day that doesn't have to be divided.


In the future, if you have something you'd like to forward me that is funny-please do! Again, I love to laugh! If you want to teach me something-make sure it's correct. When in doubt? Go ahead and skip me. I hope I haven't offended any of you. And I hope that my message has made everyone think just a bit.

Peace, Love and all that stuff...your loving friend,
Heather

2 comments:

Lindsay August 4, 2010 at 10:22 AM  

Way to go Heather! I wish I had the grace to write this and send it to my FIL :)

P.S. I thought Chelsea looked gorgeous and had a beautiful wedding.

Anonymous,  August 4, 2010 at 10:48 AM  

Sending Love and hugs your way,
Sylv

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP