Home Ec...it's not just for high school anymore!

>> Saturday, August 14, 2010

Back in high school, home ec class was about the last thing that interested me.


Funny how the times have changed! A couple years ago I decided that I wanted to be crafty and so I got a sewing machine. With the help of Mr. H, I managed to get the machine all threaded and ready to go. It didn't take long for me to realize that I have a sort of "crafty ADD" and am only a crafty wanna be. I did manage to make a few pillows and some cute skirts.

The site You Can Make This has enabled me to create the few things I have made. I definitely recommend that you check it out if you are wanting to get creative, there are so many different things you make from sewing to jewelry, etc!

Download Today - Make Today!

I've also bought several books chock full of projects. But inevitably I run into a skill I don't know how to complete and end up all disappointed. And trying to figure out a real pattern? Forget about it!

But I sure have discovered a love for fabrics. There are so many beautiful designer fabrics out there and I've gotten a bunch of yards here and there. Mostly my gorgeous fabrics sit folded in a bin until the girls get into them and start cutting into them to "make things". I'll admit, I hate to see them chopping chunks of pieces out of my nicely folded yards.

So when I learned about the Home Ec class at the Freckled Nest, I was curious. It's a 5 1/2 week course with 26 projects that each teach a different skill, guides, online chats where you can ask questions and more. But I had my worries, how could I possibly keep up? Though I find sewing fun and relaxing, I am still very much a beginner. I often have to stop mid-project and take apart some portion of what I'm working on to do it over and get it right. Sometimes I require several do-overs!

Worrying about this, I decided I better skip the class. But it kept stirring in the back of my mind. So I would go back to the site and look it over again. At one point I noticed that all of the information would not be available for just 5 1/2 weeks. No. It will be available for an entire year! By then the deadline had passed. Bummer. But no again! The sign ups have been extended til 8/15. And then I saw that Gussy is taking the class! She's recently made her creations a full time business!

At this point I was sold! And I've just taken the plunge and signed up for Home Ec! I'm so excited! It's a little late tonight to get started. Plus I've got to figure out how to replace a broken needle on my machine, Bethany was having a little too much fun one day. And I've noticed the first project requires ric-rac which I don't think I have. But soon, I'll be getting started.

And if any of my tens of readers out there are interested in signing up, you've got til 8/15 to do so! Come on and sign up with me, it'll be fun!

Disclaimer: I'm not being compensated for posting this or encouraging anyone to sign up for Home Ec. I just think it'll be the more the merrier. I am an affiliate for You Can Make This, so if you do happen to purchase something entering via my button, I think I get a store credit. It's never happened before, but maybe some day!

3 comments:

tracy August 14, 2010 at 6:13 AM  

Now I want to do this...I am not sure I have time though...but oh it sounds like fun!
xoxo,t

Heather August 14, 2010 at 4:04 PM  

Tracy you should do it! I knew that I wouldn't have the time in the next month. When I found out it's left open for a year then I was sold! I think they even leave up the transcripts from the open chat Q&A sessions.

Stacy August 15, 2010 at 9:00 AM  

This sounds perfect! I don't have time to do it right now, though. I wonder if she's going to offer it again? I need the accountability of weekly assignments instead of making myself do it alone, I think. I'll have to give this some thought...

Thanks for the link!

Stacy

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP