more ways to give back and pay it forward & an update

>> Friday, March 12, 2010

It occurred to me not long after I wrote about some of the ways I give back and pay it forward that I left out an organization that I believe in and support, The Liz Logelin Foundation. I've written about The Logelin Family in the past and it's a great time to remember them again.

Visit the Liz Logelin Foundation


...If you aren't familiar with the logelin family, you can check out their blog *here*. Liz Logelin died suddenly the day after her first child was born. Her husband, Matt, found himself not only a widower but also a single parent to a newborn. Matt and Madeline's adventures and life are shared via their blog. It's sure to make you laugh and make you cry. Out of this tragedy came the liz logelin foundation which raises funds for other widows and widowers. One of the ways they raise money is "$7 on the 7th", donating $7 on the 7th of each month. It doesn't seem like a lot, but it does add up and many families have been helped through these efforts...

***
Recently I learned of a family who is in the process of adopting two daughters from the Ukraine. These little sweethearts have Down Syndrome and sadly the future for children with this syndrome in the Ukraine and other countries is very bleak and lacking in hope. I now have a button on my blog that will take you to Room for More, where you can follow along with their journey. The family also has a lot of really neat ways that you can help them in raising the funds needed for these adoptions. Please give them a visit!

***
I am thrilled to announce that I am now the proud sponsor of two boys from Kenya through Compassion. For some reason it took me way too long to make the commitment, over a year. I guess I was trying to find exactly who I was meant to sponsor. I was so touched by Vincent who you can also read about here at We Are THAT Family, that all of a sudden it became clear who I was looking for. Within a couple short moments it also became clear that I was looking for two people.

As soon as I receive my information packets, I'll be sure to tell you all about the two new members of our family. Mr. H took a peek at them and their stories online and he seems pretty excited too. The girls haven't had a chance to actually hear all of the details yet. One thing that did stand out to Mr. H and I is that if the opportunity to take a trip so far away were to be possible, that we could actually visit Kenya and our sponsored children with the help of Compassion. Visiting Africa has always been on my list of things I want to do some day and now we have a reason. I'm going to start a savings fund now and maybe just maybe when Kelley and Bethany are a bit older, we'll take a trip!

2 comments:

Jeanette March 12, 2010 at 10:56 PM  

Awesome! Congrats on the new additions!

Dawn March 13, 2010 at 1:39 AM  

Good for you for paying it forward. I think it's pretty cool that you are doing that.

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP