Reconnecting with a friend who made me her "hero"!

>> Sunday, February 21, 2010

Growing up I lived in Ohio. I would spend about a month of every summer vacation with my Grandma and Grandpa Roger who lived several hours from us. As a kid it seemed like it took forever to get there. Though the drive was definitely worth it-I loved visiting my grandparents!

One of the perks of visiting was spending time with their neighbors including, Tammy, who was my age. I absolutely had a blast with her! She was one of my favorite friends. I wished that we lived closer and could have been able to see each other more than once, sometimes twice a year.

When I was 10 we moved to Florida and my grandparents did as well. Sadly, I didn't get to visit my awesome friend anymore and we lost touch. That is until a few months ago when we reconnected on Facebook after 25 years! As a side note, I am so thankful for Facebook. I have reconnected with so many people from all the different times of my life and places I've lived. I am also connected to people that I know now, too. It's really a great thing!

Since I had just recently reconnected with Tammy, she didn't know about my experience with Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. I was really surprised when I saw that she was participating in The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Team in Training. It's a charity sports training program that has raised a lot of funds to support various aspects of the blood cancers leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma. Click here on *Team in Training* to learn more about the program.

I told her that I had fought NHL, thanked her for participating in such a great cause and that I would be making a donation. She was shocked to hear about my experience and asked me to be her "hero", the person she is running for. That is such an honor for me!

Please check out *Tammy's fundraising page* and consider making a donation to help her reach her goal. All donations go to a great cause dedicated to funding blood cancer research and providing education and patient services.

Thanks!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP