The Story of Zac Smith

>> Monday, March 29, 2010

Zac's story was shared with me through Kelly's Korner. His story is heartbreaking. His story is inspiring. I want to pass it along to as many as I can. He has made such an impression on me, and I'm sure many others. Though his time left in our world may be short, Zac is definitely going to be remembered.

While I hope that none of you will ever experience this, you must know that hearing a doctor tell you that you have cancer will turn your world upside down. Everything changes...right then. It's hard to explain and I'm not sure if this happens to all of us when we hear that word, but for me time became so strange. Thoughts and actions seemed to move in slow motion yet at lightning fast speed all at the same time.

One thing that I'm pretty certain about is that all who have to hear those words and face the reality of cancer become very strong and brave. Many people told me that I was strong and brave, which I appreciated because it reminded me that I was exactly that. What I want you all to know is that it wasn't something special that I did. Strong and brave is what everyone who has the experience of cancer is. Everyone.

You find yourself in a new place that is horrible and you don't know how or why you are there. And you are trapped, the entryway is locked behind you. It's like a long hallway with many doors in front of you, doors that you have to open and pass through. You can only move forward through the place and accept whatever is behind each door as you open it. There is no other way. Thankfully there is an end, an exit. Except that you may not realize that. It's true there is an end, and it's different for every person.

Some people are cured and they reach their exit. Some achieve remission but don't reach their exit at the same time, they may have long lasting damage or may have post traumatic stress. Eventually, I hope there is an exit for anyone who has a further walk in this horrible place. And then there are those who sadly aren't cured. They do reach an exit, but I don't know where it is or what it's like. I want to believe that it is a beautiful and peaceful place. A place where only love exists. Where there is only comfort, and we can shed our terribly heavy and sometimes painful bodies. A place that is our true home, with our loving Creator.

That leads me to what I found so inspiring about Zac's story. One way that each of us affected by cancer is different is how we perceive our situations. Though we are all brave and strong in action, our emotions and feelings are totally unique. These feelings will always be with us even when cancer may not. We may be scared, angry, relieved, grateful. I don't think there is a right way or a wrong way to feel. It is our personal feelings, and they are all genuine and true. Zac's life has been turned upside down. He is young and has a family and a purpose. Cancer is stealing all of that away from him and stealing him away from all of that.

Like all of us, Zac has his feelings. He also has faith. A strong and beautiful faith. It is so inspiring. I've never met Zac but I will never forget him. I hope that Zac will make the same impression on you.


The Story of Zac Smith from NewSpring Media on Vimeo.

2 comments:

Tattered Tulips March 29, 2010 at 8:18 PM  

Thank you so much for sharing Zac's story, Heather. It touched me very deeply. <3

nielsons*love*family March 29, 2010 at 8:53 PM  

i LOVED this heather! and YOUR thoughts as well. i think any heartache, health worry, hard "path" we walk in this life becomes a choice. and what i loved about HIS story the most is that he CHOOSE (and it is a choice) to continue to believe and have hope, even though, the "ending" he hopes for may not be achieved (life). that is such an act of courage and faith i think! you are wonderful! i love the things you share! xo, dorien

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP