my dreams, africa and an amazing girl...

>> Sunday, August 30, 2009

before cancer struck i had a lot of things i wanted to do during my lifetime. some may call it a bucket list. although my cancer has been in remission for two years, my body and life have not bounced back as i hoped they would. there is some permanent damage to my heart and vascular system that is not able to be fixed easily. the cancer killing treatments were so efficient with killing the cancer, but were also so hard on the healthy parts that they cause lasting problems. and because of this a lot of those things i wanted to do were either put on hold or tucked away into my "dream file".

one of the things i had wanted to do someday was mission work in africa. i didn't know what exactly i could offer but figured my nursing experience might be a help. yes i know it would have been a hard experience. the conditions in africa are pretty rough in some places. there is poverty at a level that is unimaginable to us here in america. famine. AIDS. malaria. so many don't even have shoes. can you imagine that? just think about it...a day or two without food or clean water, needed medical care or shoes. it seems pretty hard doesn't it? even in our imagination. this is a reality that many face every single day. so i really wanted to help.

i am pretty sure, atleast at this point, that this desire of mine will need to go into the dream file for now.

but i have something i wanted to share with you. this was shared by meghan and i am so glad that i was able to find it. i hope it will touch you in the way it has me and perhaps you will feel led to help as i have.

meet katie and learn about the Journey...katie is 20 years old i believe. when she graduated high school she decided to take a year to do mission work in africa before attending college. her family agreed and she's been in uganda ever since. her story is so very touching, and what she has accomplished is absolutely amazing! i can't do it justice, so i ask that you visit for yourself and read about her experiences, those she has fed, provided medical care for, taught about Jesus, and those who are now part of her family. i have also added a button for Amazima Ministries.

i was blessed during my time of need by many, many kind people. my gratitude often falls short as a simple "thank you" does not feel good enough. so i have turned my gratitude into "paying it forward" whenever i can. and this cause is one of those that will become one of my regulars. i hope it will become one of yours too!

1 comments:

Meghan August 30, 2009 at 4:00 PM  

Heather,

I am so glad that you were so touched by Katie and her ministry. While you may never physically visit Uganda, you will most definitely impact the children there with your support. My heart was absolutely broken by her posts, and I was completely captivated. I knew I wanted to support her and her ministry, and I wanted to make other people aware, as well. I am in the process of writing my own blogpost as well, but am having a hard time finding the words that do this story justice. I have very few followers, but that doesn't matter. Maybe we should start a facebook group??!!

I am glad that we have had the chance to "meet", and I look forward to reading your blog in the future!

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP