crafty ADD and just when i thought it couldn't get worse...

>> Wednesday, February 18, 2009

it has been awhile since i have tried sewing anything. it's not lack of desire, i really do want to create things, beautiful things. and fabric, how i adore it. and i have so much of it.

the problem i think aside from lack of skill is something that my friend becky at the kankelfam described as crafty ADD. i definitely have this. lots of ideas, LOTS of ideas...but somehow the focus just doesn't keep up with the ideas.

well last night i decided it was time to make *something*. the girls always love my projects (no matter how crazy they turn out) so i decided on personalized name pillows from you can make this. i love the projects from YCMT as the instructions are so easy to follow and perfect for someone like me.

so i set out to make a pillow and followed all of the steps. this was the first time i used fusible interfacing. but hey, how hard can it be? hmpf! i picked out some cool fabrics. start tracing. and pressing. and cutting. (kind of wondering why i didn't give my girls shorter names). it's all coming along fabulously until...

the letters are all BACKWARDS. yes. backwards. it never occurred to me that i should apply the interfacing to the "wrong" side of the fabric. even the fact that the letters i cut out and traced were backwards didn't clue me in.

so there you have it...crafty ADD does get worse-when you include crafty dyslexia!

at that point i didn't know if i should laugh or cry. and my instinct was to pack it up and be done with it all. mr. heather encouraged me as he i'm sure was trying to suppress a good laugh. he said take this as a lesson learned and move on. so i did...and i repeated the process and now have a name fused to background fabric with the letters the right way.

ok so, i am sure that there will be many more (mis)adventures along the way. especially considering that i haven't even fired up the ole sewing machine yet. stay tuned...

3 comments:

Darcie - Such The Spot February 18, 2009 at 11:05 PM  

Oh goodness. As bad as it may have been my efforts would make yours look like one of Martha's finished products. I'm lucky I've never sewn through my finger.

Heather February 19, 2009 at 9:01 AM  

Oh. My. Goodness. I SO have crafty ADD. I just didn't know the clinical name for my diagnosis!

So sorry about the letters. Totally sounds like something I would do. (that is what I get for working at 2am) Plod on though - the pillows really are adorable, I make them all the time!

TatteredTulips February 19, 2009 at 10:03 PM  

Heather I cannot tell you how many letters I have had to recut because they were backwards! lmbo

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP