crafty ADD and just when i thought it couldn't get worse...

>> Wednesday, February 18, 2009

it has been awhile since i have tried sewing anything. it's not lack of desire, i really do want to create things, beautiful things. and fabric, how i adore it. and i have so much of it.

the problem i think aside from lack of skill is something that my friend becky at the kankelfam described as crafty ADD. i definitely have this. lots of ideas, LOTS of ideas...but somehow the focus just doesn't keep up with the ideas.

well last night i decided it was time to make *something*. the girls always love my projects (no matter how crazy they turn out) so i decided on personalized name pillows from you can make this. i love the projects from YCMT as the instructions are so easy to follow and perfect for someone like me.

so i set out to make a pillow and followed all of the steps. this was the first time i used fusible interfacing. but hey, how hard can it be? hmpf! i picked out some cool fabrics. start tracing. and pressing. and cutting. (kind of wondering why i didn't give my girls shorter names). it's all coming along fabulously until...

the letters are all BACKWARDS. yes. backwards. it never occurred to me that i should apply the interfacing to the "wrong" side of the fabric. even the fact that the letters i cut out and traced were backwards didn't clue me in.

so there you have it...crafty ADD does get worse-when you include crafty dyslexia!

at that point i didn't know if i should laugh or cry. and my instinct was to pack it up and be done with it all. mr. heather encouraged me as he i'm sure was trying to suppress a good laugh. he said take this as a lesson learned and move on. so i did...and i repeated the process and now have a name fused to background fabric with the letters the right way.

ok so, i am sure that there will be many more (mis)adventures along the way. especially considering that i haven't even fired up the ole sewing machine yet. stay tuned...

3 comments:

Anonymous,  February 18, 2009 at 11:05 PM  

Oh goodness. As bad as it may have been my efforts would make yours look like one of Martha's finished products. I'm lucky I've never sewn through my finger.

Heather - Hopelessly Flawed February 19, 2009 at 9:01 AM  

Oh. My. Goodness. I SO have crafty ADD. I just didn't know the clinical name for my diagnosis!

So sorry about the letters. Totally sounds like something I would do. (that is what I get for working at 2am) Plod on though - the pillows really are adorable, I make them all the time!

Tattered Tulips February 19, 2009 at 10:03 PM  

Heather I cannot tell you how many letters I have had to recut because they were backwards! lmbo

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP